Chester Courthouse

The Chester Courthouse, built in 1724, was once the oldest active court in use in the United States, operating until 1967.

More Information

Chester Waterside Station of the Philadelphia Electric Company

The Beaux-Arts style main building was built in 1916, which includes the Boiler House, Coal Towers, Turbine Hall, and Switch House. The Turbine Hall Annex addition was built in 1939-1942.

More Information

Cramp’s Shipyard

The Cramp Shipyard was founded by William Cramp in 1830. It became a major employer of Kensington and Fishtown residents in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

More Information

Delaware County National Bank

This historic bank building is located on Market Square in Chester. It was built between 1882 and 1884 in the Renaissance Revival style.

More Information

Delaware Power Station

Delaware Power Station was built by the Philadelphia Electric Company in 1920 to avert a predicted power shortage. It labored steadily from then on, with an expansion in 1954, until closing in 2004. It was designed by Philadelphia architects John T. Windrim and W.C.L. Eglin. Windrim was a prominent Philadelphia architect in the late 19th […]

More Information

Disston & Sons Complex

Disston & Sons Complex is a former saw factory, once the largest in the world. For more than 100 years, Henry Disston & Sons was America’s leading saw maker, carefully crafting its saws from raw materials to finished product. Generations of carpenters, craftsmen, and lumbermen recognized Disston saws as the best in the world. Visible […]

More Information

Elfreth’s Alley

Elfreth’s Alley is known as the “nation’s oldest residential street,” dating to 1702. There are 32 houses on the street, which were built between 1728 and 1836.

More Information

Fairmount Water Works

Philadelphia was first to supply an entire city with drinking water, provided by the Fairmount Water Works. Today the site features beautiful landscaping and the Water Works Interpretive Center.

More Information

Fort Mifflin

In October and November of 1777, Fort Mifflin was the site of defense by Americans against the British fleet. The British were overtaking the Delaware River to open supply lines to British-held Philadelphia. The Americans were defeated, but this battle contributed to British frustration at loss of men, supplies, and time. After the war, Pierre […]

More Information

Francis Hopkinson House

The home of Francis Hopkinson, a signer of the Declaration of Independence, from 1774 until 1791.

More Information