Andalusia

The residence of Nicholas Biddle, head of the Second Bank of the United States, from 1821 to 1844. The house was originally designed in 1806 by architect Benjamin Latrobe. Upon purchasing the house, Biddle added river side drawing rooms, a kitchen, library wings, and a large wooden portico. The new additions were designed by architect […]

More Information

Arch Street Meetinghouse

The land was donated by William Penn in 1693 as a burial ground for members of the Religious Society of Friends, or Quakers. The meetinghouse was designed by Own Biddle and built between 1803 and 1805 atop the graveyard.

More Information

Bartram’s Garden

Bartram’s Garden is the pastoral 18th century homestead of John Bartram, a Quaker farmer. With views of Center City Philadelphia, the garden features meadows, wetlands, a river trail, archeological artifacts, and farm buildings.

More Information

Bordentown City

The first European settler arrived in Bordentown in 1682. By the mid 18th century, Bordentown was a major throughway for people and freight between New York City and Philadelphia. Once home to many historical figures, Joseph Bonaparte, former King of Naples and Spain and brother to Napoleon I of France, famously resided in Bordentown for […]

More Information

Borough of Riverton

Riverton was the first entirely planned residential subdivision in America, laid out in 1851 by Philadelphia architect Samuel Sloan.

More Information

Bristol Historic District

Bristol’s first European settler, Samuel Clift, operated a ferry across the Delaware River in 1681. By 1697, the town of Bristol was created. The historic district has over 300 buildings, including the early 18th century Bristol Friends Meetinghouse.

More Information

Burlington Historic District

One of New Jersey’s most historic towns, Burlington was first incorporated in 1693. Today the historic district, bounded by the Delaware River and High, West Broad, Albot, and Reed Sreets, is known for its significant architecture, including structures by Richard Upjohn and William Strickland.

More Information

Burlington Island

Burlington Island is a scenic and uninhabited island in the Delaware River. A noteworthy feature is the large lake-within-an-island-within-a-river. First settled In 1624, it is the site of the first European settlement in what would become New Jersey. In the late 19th and early 20th Centuries, the island was used as an amusument park.

More Information

Calhoun Street Toll Supported Bridge

Calhoun Street Toll Supported Bridge a historic bridge connecting Trenton, NJ to Morrisville, PA. The bridge was constructed by the Phoenix Bridge Company of Phoenixville in 1884.

More Information

Carpenters’ Hall

Built 1770-1774, this meeting hall was built by the Carpenters’ Company of Philadelphia, the country’s oldest extant trade guild. It also was the location for the First Continental Congress in 1774.

More Information

Chester Courthouse

The Chester Courthouse, built in 1724, was once the oldest active court in use in the United States, operating until 1967.

More Information

Chester Waterside Station of the Philadelphia Electric Company

The Beaux-Arts style main building was built in 1916, which includes the Boiler House, Coal Towers, Turbine Hall, and Switch House. The Turbine Hall Annex addition was built in 1939-1942.

More Information

Cramp’s Shipyard

The Cramp Shipyard was founded by William Cramp in 1830. It became a major employer of Kensington and Fishtown residents in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

More Information

Delaware County National Bank

This historic bank building is located on Market Square in Chester. It was built between 1882 and 1884 in the Renaissance Revival style.

More Information

Delaware Power Station

Delaware Power Station was built by the Philadelphia Electric Company in 1920 to avert a predicted power shortage. It labored steadily from then on, with an expansion in 1954, until closing in 2004. It was designed by Philadelphia architects John T. Windrim and W.C.L. Eglin. Windrim was a prominent Philadelphia architect in the late 19th […]

More Information

Disston & Sons Complex

Disston & Sons Complex is a former saw factory, once the largest in the world. For more than 100 years, Henry Disston & Sons was America’s leading saw maker, carefully crafting its saws from raw materials to finished product. Generations of carpenters, craftsmen, and lumbermen recognized Disston saws as the best in the world. Visible […]

More Information

Elfreth’s Alley

Elfreth’s Alley is known as the “nation’s oldest residential street,” dating to 1702. There are 32 houses on the street, which were built between 1728 and 1836.

More Information

Fairmount Water Works

Philadelphia was first to supply an entire city with drinking water, provided by the Fairmount Water Works. Today the site features beautiful landscaping and the Water Works Interpretive Center.

More Information

Fort Mifflin

In October and November of 1777, Fort Mifflin was the site of defense by Americans against the British fleet. The British were overtaking the Delaware River to open supply lines to British-held Philadelphia. The Americans were defeated, but this battle contributed to British frustration at loss of men, supplies, and time. After the war, Pierre […]

More Information

Francis Hopkinson House

The home of Francis Hopkinson, a signer of the Declaration of Independence, from 1774 until 1791.

More Information

Frankford Arsenal

The Frankford Arsenal is the site of an United States Army ammunition plant in Northeast Philadelphia. Started in 1816, it was the center of U.S. military small-arms ammunition design and development until its closure in 1977. Of the many products manufactured at the arsenal, fire-control and range-finding instruments are the most notable. The Arsenal reached […]

More Information

Frankford Bridge

The Frankford Avenue Bridge, or Pennypack Creek Bridge, was erected in 1697 and is the oldest surviving roadway bridge in the United States.

More Information

Franklin Square

One of the five original open-space parks planned by William Penn when he laid out the city of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1682.

More Information

Gershom Craft House

Built in 1806-1808, the Craft house is an outstanding example of Federal style architecture.

More Information

Girard Group

Piers 3 and 5 North were built in 1923 and are named in honor of Stephen Girard.

More Information

Glen Foerd

Glen Foerd is the only Delaware River estate located in Philadelphia, which is open to the public. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. First built in 1850 by the Macalester family, it underwent extensive renovations and additions in 1895 by the Foerderer family, upon which the name was changed to Glen […]

More Information

Gloria Dei (Old Swedes Church)

Gloria Dei (Old Swedes Church) is Pennsylvania’s oldest church, built by the Swedes. It was among the first to bring Christianity to Africans and Indians.

More Information

Governor Printz Park

Governor Printz Park is the site of the first permanent European settlement in Pennsylvania and the capital of New Sweden in the mid-17th century. The park features an outdoor exhibit on the history of New Sweden and a statue of Governor Printz.

More Information

Griffith Morgan House

The Griffith Morgan is one of the oldest stone houses in Camden County, dating to about 1715 and once attached to a structure that was built in 1693. The Griffith Morgan House in on the National Register of Historic Places. The colonial home of the Morgan family is now a community center with a museum […]

More Information

Harriman Historic District

The Harriman Historic District is a well-preserved example of a government planned and financed residential neighborhood from the World War I era.

More Information

Headhouse Square Historic District

The historic district is in the Society Hill

More Information

Hog Island

American International Shipbuilding built a shipyard at Hog Island in 1917. At the time Hog Island was the largest shipyard in the world with 50 slipways.The land is now occupied by the Philadelphia International Airport.

More Information

Independence National Park

Independence Hall, formerly called the Pennsylvania State House, is where the Declaration of Independence was adopted and US Constitution was drafted. It features George Washington’s original “rising sun” chair used as he presided over the Constitutional Convention. Independence Hall is owned and operated by the National Park Service and designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site. […]

More Information

Lazaretto

Philadelphia, as a heavily active port, needed a way to stem the tropical diseases spreading through the masses. In 1799, Philadelphia erected the Lazaretto to quarantine passengers, cargo, and ships as they arrived. The Lazaretto has been added to the National Register of Historic Places, and is a monument to the vitality of the port […]

More Information

Margaret R. Grundy Museum

Margaret R. Grundy Museum was home to the Grundy family, whose ancestors were among the first to arrive in the river Delaware. Joseph Grundy, a local industrialist, banker, farmer, newspaperman, and US Senator, demonstrated his commitment to the Bristol community by directing that his home be used as a museum of local history and dedicated […]

More Information

Market Street Historic District

Founded in 1675, Salem is one of the oldest towns in New Jersey. The Market Street Historic District dates to 1735 and includes mid 19th century Greek Revival, Georgian, and Federal architecture.

More Information

Morton Homestead

Founded in 1654 by Morton Mortenson, a Finnish immigrant, this area was part of the New Sweden colony. John Morton, Mortenson’s great-grandson, signed the Declaration of Independence.

More Information

New York Shipbuilding

The New York Shipbuilding company was founded in 1899 and opened its first shipyard in 1900 in Camden, New Jersey. The ship yard made vessels for U.S. Navy, the United States Merchant Marine, and the United States Coast Guard. During World War I, the rapid expansion led to the construction of Yorkship Village, a planned community of 1000 brick homes, […]

More Information

Northern Liberties Historic District

The Northern Liberties Historic District preserves architectural examples of Italianate, Greek revival, and Federal style buildings. It shares the reputation of “Philadelphia’s first suburb” with Southwark.

More Information

Old City Historic District

Old City is the area of Philadelphia near the Delaware River first settled by William Penn and the Quakers. The district includes notable sites like Independence Hall, Elfreth’s Alley, the Betsy Ross House, and many of Philadelphia’s other historic sites.

More Information

Ore Pier at Port Richmond Rail

Ore Pier at Port Richmond Rail Yards is a last vestige of the once-great Richmond Coal Wharves. Extending 875 feet into the river Pier 18 carries two railroad tracks and was used for the loading of coal and ore. The now-defunct Richmond Coal Wharves encompass a mile of shoreline and 12 abandoned piers. It was […]

More Information

Pen Ryn Mansion

Pen Ryn Mansion is a Colonial mansion first built by a wealthy shipping merchant featuring a tree-lined drive, river views, and gardens on 100 acres. The mansion was later expanded by the Drexel family to include an art gallery and library. The property was privately purchased and offers facilities for private events. Tours available. Call […]

More Information

Pennsbury Manor

Pennsbury Manor is a recreation of William Penn’s country estate from 1683 to 1701. The grounds feature reconstructed buildings including Penn’s house, stable and barn, and gardens. There is also a visitor’s center with an audio visual presentation, changing exhibits, and picnic grounds. Several buildings can be seen from the river, call ahead for access […]

More Information

Point Breeze Historic District, Bordentown City

Once a major transportation hub, Bordentown was in economic decline at the end of the 19th century. Because of this, the architecture has maintained its 19th century scale. Bordentown’s historic buildings maintain a high-style 18th to late 19th century character.

More Information

Red Bank Battlefield

Once the location of Fort Mercer, Red Bank Battlefield is the site where Americans defeated British forces at the Battle of the Red Bank in October 1777. The American success delayed the opening of the Delaware River as a supply line to British-held Philadelphia.

More Information

Richmond Generating Station

The station was designed by famed architect John T. Windrim and built in 1925 to meet a need for an increase in Philadelphia Electric’s generating capability. Designed for three, only one of the generating components was constructed, Turbine Hall. Richmond Power Station is one of three early power plants built by the Philadelphia Electric Power […]

More Information

Roebling Village Historic District

John A. Roebling’s Sons Company in 1904 built a new steel and wire manufacturing plant near Trenton, along the Delaware River. The existing town, Kinkora, did not have available housing for the expanding population of workers. The Roebling company created a new town for its workers, Roebling Village.

More Information

S.S. United States

The S.S. United States became the fastest passenger ship ever built and the largest built in the U.S., upon her maiden voyage in 1952. Tours of the boat are not available but it is visible from the river.

More Information

Society Hill Historic District

The Society Hill historic district is a neighborhood containing the largest concentration of original 18th- and early 19th-century residential architecture in the United States.

More Information

St. George’s Methodist Church

St. George’s is the oldest Methodist church in continuous use in the United States. In the 1920s, the church was saved from being demolished to make way for the Benjamin Franklin Bridge.

More Information

St. John’s Church

Built in 1815, St. John’s is one of William Strickland’s oldest surviving designs. St. John’s is the fifth oldest surviving church in Philadelphia.

More Information

Sun Shipbuilding & Drydock Company

Sun Shipbuilding was a major shipbuilding company in Chester from 1917 to 1989. During World War II, it participated in the U.S. Government’s Emergency Shipbuilding Program. Today, the former Sun Shipbuilding Yard has been extensively reclaimed for other uses. While environmental remediation and development have mostly destroyed the yards structures, evidence of the some of the 28 slipways is […]

More Information

Tacony Music Hall

Erected in 1885, the Tacony Music Hall was a multi-use facility, with retail space, an auditorium, and was the home of the Keystone Scientific and Literary Association.

More Information

USS New Jersey

USS New Jersey, America’s most decorated battleship, serves as a museum offering tours and overnight stays. Experience the life of a sailor by commanding the Admiral’s seat, lying in a bunk, or aiming weapons.

More Information

Walt Whitman House

Walt Whitman House, once owned by the famed poet, is now a National Historic Landmark and a museum to Whitman’s life.

More Information

Washington Square

One of the five original open-space parks planned by William Penn when he laid out the city of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1682.

More Information

William Penn Landing Site

This was the spot William Penn’s first landing on the territory of Pennsylvania in October of 1682.

More Information

William Trent House

The William Trent House, built in 1719, is the oldest house in Trenton, NJ, which became the capital of New Jersey.

More Information